Thursday, December 3, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Out There

You'll have to forgive me. I live in Austin, Texas, where it's a billion degrees outside six months of the year, so when temperatures start to drop none of us quite know what to do. No matter how hard we plan, we're always caught unaware (kids without pants, long sleeve shirts, jackets, because they outgrew the ones they wore for one month the year before) or at least, I am. So when it turned cold this week-- and I'm talking cold as it may actually snow tomorrow-- I was surprised.

The kids, of course, are thrilled. In the five years we've lived here, it's actually snowed only once. We've iced a few times, but real, honest to got snow? Only once. And to tell you how unprepared we were for that, the kids went sledding down the driveway on the tops of those huge Rubbermaid storage containers-- swear to God.

So anyway, as I was scrambling to find jackets that fit (beyond the regular hoodies) and hats that actually lived up to my oldest's cool factor, I couldn't help reflecting that it actually feels like Christmas. Last year, it was 85 degrees at Christmas time, so to say I'm excited about the weather-- now that my children are properly protected from winter-- is a tad of an understatement. I just hope it lasts.

So, what's the weather like where you live right now? A friend of mine from New York was moaning about the fact that she was ready for Spring and I had to laugh. Here in Austin, Spring is right around the corner. I have a feeling New York, however, might have to wait a while ;)

4 comments:

  1. Louisiana checking in here ~ Lol!
    It is chilly here... We are waiting to see if the weatherman will be right on his prediction! Snow flurries this weekend... at least that is what he is saying. And you are soooo right about scrambling to get things together as far as clothing, jackets, hats and things of that nature.. And for me... 16 yr old daughter has to approve if they look good or not!
    I just hate the rain that comes; because we mainly get the rain/yuck/cold/rain/sleet/yuck weather. It is never nice nor pretty - just yuck! Wish I could work from home during those days!!!
    Have a great day honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Northern Indiana, it is getting cold. The high today is 39, and for December, that is actually not too bad at all. We close school when we dip into the negative 20's. That is why schools usually close. I swear it is cold here longer than it is warm. I think that this weekend it is supposed to be highs of 23, so we are getting ready. I love the snow, but my kids...not so much. You would think they would love to get out and play in the snow, but they hate to be cold. My oldest is almost 11, and he bundles up with hat, scarf, gloves, the works. He could care less about the cool factor, so long as he is warm.

    It is funny because a friend from Florida came up a few winters ago, and I had said that I had to go out and get my daughter some winter shoes. She was so confused, and I had to tell her that we cannot wear sandals or crocks all year, but we have to get boots, snow shoes, tennis shoes for once the weather turns cold. She had never even thought of it!

    Hope the kids have fun in the possible snow!
    Amy M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that yuck.rain.sleet from when I was at Tulane, Cecile. Yuck is right.

    Amy, I was born in Detroit, so I remember that weather. I must admit that I much prefer the warmth of San Diego (where I was raised) to all of this nastiness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tulane huh... =) Daughter is starting to get college material in... and Tulane was one of the first ones she received!
    Yea, well that is suppose to be the weather for the weekend... So much for looking forward to a beautiful weekend... LOL!!!
    Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete