Monday, April 12, 2010

Book Tuesday: Hunting Ground

Yes, I'm finally back to the regularly scheduled events-- or at least I think I am. We'll see how long it lasts. In the meantime, I'd really like to thank everyone who stopped by and supported Shayla and me during the Delicious Tease Contest. It was great to meet so many romance readers!


Today, I'm going to talk about an author who is relatively new to me-- Patricia Briggs. I first ran across her when I read her novella, Alpha and Omega, in the On the Prowl anthology I picked up for Sunny's story. After that story, which I loved, I picked up Cry Wolf and was just sucked in to the writing and the action of the story. Which led me to today's book, Hunting Ground. It is the third book in the series and in my opinion, the best of the three (which is saying something as I loved the first two).
In Hunting Ground, Briggs does more than just tell a great werewolf story-- she adds in fairy and fae folklore, trolls, Native American folklore, vampires and somehow manages to combine them all into a fascinating story that revolves around one werewolf couple, Anna and Charles. I read the whole book in one evening (or should I say night as I was up until 3 a.m. last night finishing it) and enjoyed every second of it.
Next trip to the bookstore, I'm picking up all the Mercy books ... I can't wait to get started reading them.
Patricia does a really interesting job in this book of combining the Arthur legends, the Lady in the Lake legend, and the troll under the bridge with modern day versions of vampires and werewolves. So my question for you today is this-- what would you like to see in a new paranormal series that you haven't already seen? What would you like to see more of that you really like?

9 comments:

  1. I just want to say...you will LOVE the Mercy series!!! It's awesome!

    I can't really say what I want to see in stories. There are so many books out there that touch on many legends. My favorite is always that story that is just a little more unique than the rest. There are always vampires but which author makes her characters that more more unique like Jacqueline Frank's Bones or JR Ward's. Its all about how the author makes them hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Daniela. I'm going to the store tonight :) I know what you mean-- it's all about that extra little twist, isn't it? That one spin on an old idea that makes it new and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I still haven't picked up Briggs yet--sounds like I need to do that! Thanks, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like paranormals, Fedora, you won't regret it. She's really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia Briggs has been on my "need to check out" list for a while now! I read about her and her books on so many of the blogs I visit.

    I'm fairly new to paranormal books and often wonder why I waited so long to read them! I'm almost through JR Ward's books now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In all honesty i'm kinda of sick of everything paranormal. Everyone is making everything paranormal these days. We have them paranormal ling all of the classics: Jane Austen, Little Women, ect... Then we have all these great leaders becoming zombie or vampire hunters. Every movie is a paranormal. It's making me kinda wish the genre would die soon and swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jedisakora, I kind of know what you mean-- I was looking for some good contemporaries the other day and couldn't find any that I hadn't already read. It seems like 2/3 of the bookshelf is paranormal-- I can't complain, too much, though as I'm writing dragons ...

    Blanche-- How do you like JR Ward? I fell in love with Rhage and Zsadist and am really looking forward to John's book in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zsadist is my favorite!!! Loved him!! I can't wait for John's story either!

    ReplyDelete